Last week in a rush to mock up some screen shots of a web application for a demo I made the critical mistake of deploying to the root of my web site. This destroyed my Reporting Services virtual directories!
Did I panic – YES I did.
I tried to reinstall Reporting Services, repair it all sorts of things but all I kept getting was an install error saying that my IIS Meta base was invalid.
Fortunately I had a VPC image that I could use but it was close.
I think that in fact my panic was a bit unfounded and my rushed attempts to fix it probably made it worse.
What I have subsequently found is that there is the ability to recreate the web directories using the Reporting Services Configuration tool.
What I don’t know is if this will successfully associate the new sites with the existing database or if there are additional steps needed. If anyone does know then let me know, otherwise I will have to wait until I have time to deliberately pooch my machine!