These are my notes from Steve Balmer’s keynote.
- People Ready is not a marketing campaign it is the driving mission statement.
- Vista is a block buster release- never again will MS do such a release- count on it.
Massive launch for Vista and Office 07 – Consumer based campaigns.
- If consumer launch is big then then this will drive business take up
- Office "Better results faster" – The biggest Office release ever.
Vista Desktop Search and Office 2007 Both use the same index
Sharepoint – The next big thing ™
- Search – There is a big drive to getting a unified search across desktop, Sharepoint, Back Office Solutions and the Internet
- Sharepoint can now handle 50 million docs in its index
Business data catalogue – search back office systems
- Connectors for MS CRM, SAP and Seibel when it is RTM
- Custom actions – Bi-Directional interactions
People ready – Sharepoint can create links of people across the organization. think of it as a "MySpace" for business. People who are friends of friends. This is auto built from contacts, AD, email etc
- It shows the Degrees of separation
Windows Live Search
- Beta July
- Rich results live preview
- Join results from Desktop, Live.com and Sharepoint
- Heard another bastardized word "Coopatition"!!!
- Round Table peripheral A video conference peripheral
- Consistent interface – IM VoIP Email
- Brings together all forms of comms in one UI
- Outlook web Exchange now has rich web access with access to voice messaging
- Can add meta data about can have voice mail forwarding to a phone as well as play in media player
- Big on presence information.
- One click contact IM Messages have context put in as well as a form of meta data
multi party video and audio
- Video auto switches to speaker – Active Something or other
- Call management. Solution
Security – Forefront
- Move beyond just security – Firewall anti virus anti spyware
- Server protection