Following my post about the merits of Qumana against Windows Live Writer I got a comment from Tris Hussey at Qumana.
I felt that anyone who keeps that close a watch on the blogs deserves a closer look at their product.
To this end I am doing this post twice once in each product to see how I get on.This is the post from Qumana.
- I am using Qumana 3.0.0-3b I understand that 5b has much more formatting including font colours.As I did not get to download that version I will assume that it has a matching function to Live Writer.
- Live Writer picks up the style sheet from your blog and displays using that. It also means that Heading styles are available from a drop down list. Qumana needs you to edit the HTML.
- Inline spell checking is invaluable. I really miss it in Live Writer. My only wish is that Qumana had a UK dictionary but it is a minor point (I now find that this is also the case in Live Writer!).
- The auto population of URLs in the link dialogue is a nice touch in Qumana but I understand that Live Writer has a plug in for this.
- Quick Blogging. Qumana has a “Drop Pad” for gathering material for posts. Live Writer relies on an addin for this. As I don’t use this feature
- Post History
- Both the Qumana Blog Manager and the Live Writer Open Dialogue seem to be similar in functionality. One area I cant test is syncing to my post history as I am off line doing this.
- Post Additions
- Live writer has a hidden properties and trackback panel at the bottom (incase you missed it like I did) and a comments drop down in the top right. Qumana puts all this in a side panel. Over all I found the Live Writer a bit too hidden and disjointed. As it is not in my face I will forget it.
- Live writer has done this very well. Qumana can do basic pictures but when it come to sizing and smartening Live Writer has it.
For the way I work at the moment Qumana just has the edge. The main reason for this is that it has the in line spell checker and a better organized categories and trackback layout.The vast majority of my posts don’t use fancy formatting, images and layout so I wont gain from Live Writer’s enhancements in these areas.